- If you are a parent or guardian of a child with disabilities and live in Allen, Champaign or Mercer county, you also have a Parent Mentor available to support your needs. Their contact information is also listed below.
What is a Parent Mentor?
A Parent Mentor is a parent of a child with a disability and is a support network to school districts and parents of children with disabilities. A Parent Mentor can provide information and resources to families including education laws, district programs and services, and community resources.
Reasons you might call a Parent Mentor:
- I am worried about my child moving from one school to the next.
- I feel alone and wish I could talk to another parent who understands my concerns.
- I have many questions about my child’s education but forgot to ask about them at the school meetings.
- I am worried about my child’s progress and don’t know what to do.
- I feel like nobody is listening to my concerns about my child.
- I would like to have someone attend and support me at IEP and/or other meetings at school.